Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What Happened to Summer

I am sitting at the computer watching the tail end of a pretty good rainstorm and realizing that next week will be October. I feel like I had a pretty good focus early in the year. For running that was true. I had a race plan and I stuck close to it (close is a stretch). My original goal was to complete my Glacial Ultra Series. What is the Glacial Ultra Series you may ask?

The Glacial Ultra Series of races encompasses Five Races:
1. The John Dick Memorial Crusty 50K in Feb.
2. The Chippewa 50K in April
3. The Ice Age 50 Mile in May
4. The Kettle 100 Mile run in June
5. The Glacial Trail 50 Mile in October

Why these races? I guess my logic was that each of these races traverse sections of the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin. Of course there are a few other races along the trail but since I made up this series and can define it the way I want!!

Well, I made it through the first 4 races with decent results (for me) and then got invited to a wedding in California the weekend of the Glacial Trail 50. I could either backslide and change my definition of the Glacial Series or just wait until next year.

Since I am probably the only person in the world who is likely to run the series this year (or any year) what difference does it make? Let me think about it. I could claim success for completing the 4 race series this year and then expand it next year but I am leaning to just say that I did not make it this year and set the series as a goal for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment