Monday, May 4, 2009

Music While Running

I am running the Ice Age 50 this weekend and I got an email of runners rules. Of course one of them says the wearing of headphones is a violation of the rules and not allowed by the insurance? WTF? Is there a higher risk of tripping on your headphone cord and face planting? Are you going to be so focused on a Coldplay tune that you would bump another runner off a cliff accidentally?

I guess that going into the headphone world is a bit antisocial during a race. It is fun to chat with other runners during a race. What I will say is that when I am training, I do like to have some music to help me get into a 'flow'. When you are 6 hours into an ultra, your mind does things that I think music can only help.

I will keep my eyes open this Saturday and see what is going on with this. Its really not that big of a deal. So 50 miles on Saturday. I know this race pretty well. It is a pretty tricky course with a lot of up and down (small ups and downs) and some rocky, root covered sections.

My strategy: Take it easy around Nordic (say 11 minute miles); eat well; keep moving and hold on for the last 8 miles or so. It seems like the section back from Emma Carlin turnaround can be a bit of a struggle. Focus on the run (and a cold beer at the finish). I will give a race recap and describe what I feel like at the end (it could be ugly).

No comments:

Post a Comment